For some people, it seems like no matter how often you do or don't wash your hair, it still ends up looking stringy and greasy by the end of the day. There can be many culprits of greasy hair - when we use hair products to style it, all of that product builds up and makes it look greasy. Sometimes we just sweat a lot, and naturally, the sweat gives our hair that freshly showered look...even when it's been hours since we've showered!
And of course, some of it just comes down to genetics and hair type. Regardless, if you want to control the oil production on your scalp, it can be helpful to try a shampoo that's specially formulated for those with oily hair. Here, we've rounded up a list of ten different shampoos so that you can find the best shampoo for oily hair and keep that grease under control.
1. What Is Shampoo For Oily Hair?
Shampoo for oily hair is specifically made for those who suffer from greasy looking strands by the end of the day. It has different ingredients from shampoo for normal hair, color-treated hair, or dry hair.
2. What Does Shampoo For Oily Hair Do?
Shampoo for oily hair helps to manage the levels of oil in your hair so that you can trust that your mane looks healthy and grease-free all day long.
3. How Does Shampoo For Oily Hair Work?
Unlike other shampoos, shampoo for oily hair often starts at the root to ensure your scalp is balanced in its oil production. It may be a clarifying shampoo as well that helps make sure your hair is completely stripped from product buildup and the natural residues in your hair so that your hair can simply look clean, healthy, and refreshed.
4. Where Can You Buy Shampoo For Oily Hair?
You can purchase shampoo for oily hair at your local drugstore, at a chain supermarket such as Target or Walmart, at beauty supply stores like Sally's, or at beauty product stores such as Sephora. You can also purchase these shampoos online from Amazon, or directly from the website of the brand you most prefer.
How We Reviewed
To make sure we found the absolute best products for you to use in your hair, we thoroughly researched different brands and reviews to find an unbiased list of ten best shampoos for oily hair. We compared the features, pros, cons, and price of each shampoo to compare and contrast for the right fit for you.
Overall Price Range of This Product (And Similar Products)
The lower end price range of these shampoos cost only a few dollars, from $ - $$ a bottle. The higher-end products cost $$ - $$$ a bottle.
What We Reviewed
ORIBE Cleanse Clarifying Shampoo
This clarifying shampoo is a powerhouse of natural ingredients and extracts that work together to both strip your hair of product and hard water buildup while putting protecting agents back in your hair to strengthen your strands from past - and future - damage. While it is quite pricey, it has won many "best of" awards, and it only needs to be used once a week to get your hair squeaky clean. It also applies as a mousse that you lather with water, rather than a typical shampoo solution.
Good Virtues Co. Women Hair Care
- Organic - Happy & Heavenly Travel Size Shampoo (2.7 oz) is a hotel size toiletries that give you an easy way to carried...
- Ingredients - Happy & Heavenly does not contain Parabens, SLES, ALES, and synthetic colorant. Infused with Organic Black...
- Scent - Happy & Heavenly has no harsh chemical and the shampoo delivers a floral and herbacious fragrance without...
Good Virtues Co. works to bring quality products to women by using organic ingredients in their products and making sure no harmful chemicals are in their inventions. This shampoo is no exception and uses black seed oil to help cleans and purify your hair, while chamomile, rosemary, and sage extracts work together to balance the oil levels on your scalp and in your tresses. Habbatus sauda oil helps to replenish any moisture lost from the clarifying process.
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
- 12-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo to help remove up to 90% of heavy, dulling residue...
- This non-irritating clarifying shampoo gently cleanses your hair and helps boost volume by instantly rinsing away...
- Use our anti-residue shampoo only once a week to see your favorite daily shampoo work even better, and help stop bad...
This shampoo works great to remove residue and buildup from the hair, and only has to be used once a week to restore volume in your weighed down hair. The shampoo is affordable and doesn't irritate the scalp as it washes away excess buildup.
PEPPERMINT CLARIFYING Shampoo w/Tea Tree Oil
- Virgo Essentials PEPPERMINT CLARIFYING Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil is based leveraging the power of Essential Oils infused...
- This is an invigorating clarifying shampoo with Peppermint and Tea Tree Oils, which thoroughly cleanses the hair while...
- The rich lather of this shampoo removes excess oils and product build-up along the hair shaft and helps strengthen hair...
This shampoo uses a blend of amino acids and essential oils to help strip hair of excess product and restore shine and vitality to hair afterward. This blend is specifically formulated to be safe for those with skin concerns like eczema, psoriasis, and other dry and irritated scalp issues.
Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo
- Rids the hair and scalp of product buildup, chlorine and hard water minerals.
- Protects hair against UV and free radical damage.
- Effectively cleanses the hair without drying or color-dulling effects.
This clarifying shampoo uses green tea antioxidants to cleanse the hair from any dulling products, without using any sulfates that dry out your hair in the process. This shampoo also helps coat your hair and protect it from any further damage from UV rays in the sun, or from harsh environmental conditions that dry out hair.
Bumble And Bumble Seaweed Shampoo
- New Therapies For Hair And Scalp.
- Addresses Major Problems Including Chemically Treated, Dry, Dull, Thinning Hair, And Flaky, Irritated Scalp.
- A mild, moisturizing, daily shampoo with marine extracts that feed roots, add shine and keep scalps happy.
This shampoo uses a marine blend of seaweed, spirulina, and kelp to cleanse hair of all types from product buildup and leave it healthy and shiny. This product is meant to help those with dull, color-treated or chemically treated hair, along with those with irritated scalps. The marine ingredients will remind you of a day spent swimming in the ocean - without the yucky saltwater feeling in your hair.
Desert Essence Organics Hair Care Shampoo
- FRAGRANCE FREE - Scalp soothing shampoo is unscented, which means that it retains the natural fragrance of your hair.
- ENCOURAGES INCREASED HAIR STRENGTH - Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo contains organic extracts and oils that...
- HELPS TO SOFTEN AND REVITALIZE HAIR - This fragerance free shampoo has all of the nurturing goodness of jojoba oil,...
This citrus-scented shampoo uses Australian tea tree oil and lemon peel extract to refresh your hair and scalp, stripping it of unwanted buildup while giving it an invigorating scent. The shampoo lathers well, so a little will last you a long time, and the maca root extract helps strengthen hair after the citrus ingredients deeply cleanse. Over time, this shampoo should leave your hair even better than when you started using it.
Drybar Sake Bomb Shampoo
No products found.
This shampoo is ideal for those who are constantly applying heat to their hair, whether in the form of a blow dryer or a straightening/curling iron. While it cleanses hair, it then gives back a silky and healthy feeling so your hair will look like you stepped out of a shampoo commercial. A little bit lathers well and goes a long way, and it only needs to be used about once a week.
Apivita Propoline Balancing Shampoo For Very Oily Hair
- Apivita Propoline Balancing Shampoo For Very Oily Hair With Peppermint & Propolis 250ml
- PROPOLINE Balancing Shampoo for Very Oily Hair has a rich formula and contains 81% natural ingredients WITH WITHOUT...
This shampoo is formulated specifically for those struggling with stringy, oily hair by combining a bunch of natural ingredients and extracts. The extracts work to deeply cleanse hair from excessive sebum for a healthy bounce, while still making your hair glow and shine. The mint gives a nice tingly, spa-like sensation as you scrub your scalp clean.
Carol's Daughter Rhassoul Clay Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- Gentle Cleansing: Take care of overworked and overwashed hair with this balancing cleanser, made to gently draw out...
- Clarify Overworked Hair: Carol's Daughter Rhassoul Clay Sulfate-Free Shampoo, Enriching Conditioner, and Softening Hair...
- Rhassoul Clay For Naturally Curly Hair: Created for naturally curly hair, from the short-cropped 4c curly hairstyle to...
This balancing shampoo uses Moroccan rhassoul clay to draw out impurities and oils from your hair while cactus juice and aloe juice help to rejuvenate your hair and make it healthy and manageable.
The Verdict - Best Shampoo For Oily Hair
Image by jacqueline macou from Pixabay
Out of all of these shampoos, we've determined that the best shampoo for oily hair in the affordable range is the Desert Essences Organics Hair Care Shampoo, which only costs around $9 a bottle. This shampoo is vegan, so it's perfect for those concerned about animal cruelty. The citrus scent both invigorates your scalp and uses natural ingredients to gently strip hair of any excess buildup oils or products. It was difficult to find many complaints about this cheap and effective shampoo.
For those who don't mind spending a bit more on the best shampoo for oily hair, we would definitely recommend the Oribe Cleanse Clarifying Shampoo. The volcanic clay in this shampoo is amazing for drawing out any impurities, and though it is expensive at $44 a bottle, you only need to use it once a week for clarifying and stripping your hair. There are also tons of extracts included to add moisture and shine back into your hair for healthy manageability.
No matter how much you're willing to spend on your best shampoo for oily hair, this list has narrowed it down and provided great clarifying shampoos for all hair types and hair concerns. Now you can look like you freshly washed your hair all the time - and not in the greasy, stringy way!
Featured Image source: pixabay
Last update on 2022-07-05 at 15:20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API